Home Our Lives Our Travels Advertise/PR 50 by 50 Home Image Map

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Reflections: Month One

*This post is inspired by Mallory from Sweet Smores


On the 10th of this month, I celebrated my first month anniversary of being in South Korea! I really can't believe it has already been a month. {Probably because the first two weeks I stayed in doors and caught up on sleep.} In this month, I have learned a few things, and I have found that I have PLENTY more to learn! 

This past month I have learned that I will get stared at, and that I am just going to have to get over it and move on. I have had a break down in the grocery store for the sole fact that I couldn't read the labels on the food. I have learned that I love Korean BBQ. I have learned to use chopsticks like a pro. I definitely don't like Kim Chee, but I love bean sprouts and cabbage. I have learned that when you catch the bus you better find your seat fast because the bus waits for no one- not even little old ladies! 


The hardest thing that I am dealing with right now is feeling alone at work. {Again inspired by Mallory.} I am the only Native speaker at my work, and sometimes I go the whole day without talking to my co-workers. The other day, one co-worker brought lunch for everyone, except me, and they went in the break room and ate. I just sat in the main room by myself and was a bit confused. I don't speak any Korean, and most of the girls don't speak English that well, but it's still hard going a full 6 hours without talking to someone. In Hawaii, I had these amazing co-workers and we were always talking about life and the students. 

The students are another thing that kinda makes me lonely. I am surprised by this but I feel so left out when they are all speaking Korean and I am just standing there trying to get them to speak English. I just have to hope they aren't talking about me, and move on with my class. It's hard not to be able to have a real conversation with a student. I'm sure it will get better. There is just a learning curve, but for now this is where I'm at. 


But overall, I am happy here. 
There have been some road bumps. One being when we moved into our new apartment. {But that's a story for another day.} 

I know there are tons of things I still need to learn, and I know that at some point I am going to have some major culture shock. But the first month has been okay, and I look forward to the rest of my time here! 

10 comments:

  1. Hi Alex,
    I am loving your blog!
    I don't know much about you yet, but I did love this posting and I plan to read many more... I'm so sorry that you feel lonely there, you broke my heart! I'm going to fly over and sit with you at work and tell the other women to stop being unsocial and inconsiderate bi**t**ch**es!!
    Did I just say that out loud?
    I will say though that you get to experience things that most of us could not even dream of, and for that, I admire you. I also thank you for our courage to share the truth of how you feel... Travel isn't always easy... but it's sure awesome! Now I have to read more to find out why you are in Korea!
    Much love,
    Tammy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy, Oh my gosh. Thank you for your sweet comment. I am so happy that you like my blog, and I hope you love what you continue to read. As for the women at my work- hahaha! I know that it's just a time adjustment and it will get better. Luckily, I get to be in Korea with my husband so I am only a bit lonely at work, and the rest of the time we are off exploring. We decided to take a break before going to graduate school, so we got jobs over here for the year. Again thanks so much for your comment! - Alex

      Delete
  2. Alex, the new job learning curve is always a doozy--add language into it and man, it is a tough thing! I remember feeling so left out of conversations in Portugal and I was only there for a week. But I am glad that you are finding things to love. I miss good Korean BBQ. I wish we could eat some together. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy. I know it will get better. I just keep expecting that I'm just going to walk in one day and start talking in Korean! I hear it so much I feel like I should be soaking in more than I am! hahaha- I should probably put more effort into studying it :) Well, if you find yourself in Korea, you know you have a dinner date. Oh. PS- I saw that you were adopted from South Korea. My two younger siblings are adopted from mainland China (one girl one boy). My husband and I have been looking into adopting both here and in China.

      Delete
  3. It's like we're living the same life! I think over time your co-workers will warm up to you. They told us this a lot during orientation, that it'll take a long time to build trust between you and the other teachers. The more they feel that they can trust you, the most they will include you in lessons, conversations, etc. I feel like it'd be similar in your situation. Don't give up! I know it's hard right now, but just think about how amazing of an experience this is. You'll definitely learn a lot, even at school when no one really talks to you. I'm so glad that you're finding things that you love too :) I studied abroad in Seoul and I loved being in the city. I miss it!

    Lets make this next month and an even better month! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh- I think the same thing every time I read your blog - we are living similar lives! Thanks for sharing what your learned in your training. I know things will get better. I just am the type of person to get so self-concious when I feel people don't like me right off the bat. But it's just a transition period and I need to be patient. I really do love Korea, and am so thankful that I am getting this opportunity! I can't wait to visit Japan and actually see the places you share on your blog! Thanks for your comment and your support! Here's to September being a great month!

      Delete
  4. Just keep up with it - the first few months are always hard, you just have to be patient! And work really hard at learning Korean - the effort now will make it so much better later and always.

    http://lasaloperie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Isa. Learning Korean is one of my goals, but it is one hard language to learn!

      Delete
  5. Ugh, the lunch incident, how terrible!! I've had similar things happen, it is not a good feeling!! I do hope with time they'll warm up!! Hope it's sooner than later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina- it really is slowly getting better. There is just one lady that seems to hate whatever I do, and I don't really know how to get past it. But I'm not going to give up!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment- I appreciate and read each and every one of them. All replies will be in the comment section, please check back to read them!

- Alex