Home Our Lives Our Travels Advertise/PR 50 by 50 Home Image Map

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Haleakala National Park {Travel Tuesday}

It's time for another travel tuesday!


A Compass Rose


The last few weeks I have been talking about places in Hawaii that you can't miss if you ever visit the islands. Today I want to take you guys to another beautiful part of Maui: 

Haleakala National Park {The House of the Sun} 
Cost: $10 
Location: State Highway 378
Time: 1-2 hours (or longer if you hike- time not including the drive) 

I would recommend going either for sunrise or sunset. It's $10 for a pass into the park, and the pass is good for I think three days. You can use this pass to get into the other side of the park where the seven sacred pools are (over by Hana). 

Sine none of us are morning people, we decided to drive up to see the sunset, and it was beautiful! We had a great time and would recommend taking the time to drive up to the top. The drive up takes about an hour. The drive down for me took an hour and a half because I drive slow in the dark. {Note: Drive as slow as you want, but if you see a line pilling up behind you- PULL OVER and let them pass!}  

 {When you drive up, you are literally driving through the clouds. It is really beautiful- in a creepy kind of way.} 

 {There are tons of hiking trails, both long and short, for those that have the time/ want to explore more.}








*Note: It is freaking freezing at the top of the mountain. I read that in one of my guide books, so I packed a sweater. But the night we went I forgot it, and it was horrible. All three of us were in shorts and t-shirts, and we were freezing. Everyone around us was in pants, jackets, gloves, and some had ear warmers! Needless to say, we looked stupid, and we froze our butts off! 

We just sat in the car while we were waiting for the sunset. 



Regardless of us freezing, it was a lot of fun. And the sunset was so beautiful. 

What do you think? Worth the drive? What's your favorite sunset? 

Many thanks for Belinda and Bonnie for this awesome link up! 

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for this tip! We're hoping to make it over to the islands early next year and we'll add this to our "must visit" list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We loved the sunset here. If you are looking for ideas make sure you check out the Hawaii links under our travel page! We lived there for over four years so if you have any questions just ask! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful photos! Hope you are doing well and have settled in. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rita! We are semi settled and are doing well!

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous! I'd drive it! If the roads are as good as it looks in that picture, definitely! I drove through a pass in the Lake District that was half the size, I think. ;) It was intense. If I can do that, I can do any drive (although I didn't want to do it again)! Great photos!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina- the road was pretty good. It wasn't nearly as bad as our road to Hana experience! Thanks for reading and leaving your comment.

      Delete
  4. How gorgeous, and what a great drive! I love those cloud shots too! Thank you for linking up with me for Travel Tuesdays, hope to see you linking up tomorrow!

    Bonnie Rose | A Compass Rose an expat lifestyle blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie- I love this link up. Every week I love looking back through my pictures and seeing what I can share.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment- I appreciate and read each and every one of them. All replies will be in the comment section, please check back to read them!

- Alex