Home Our Lives Our Travels Advertise/PR 50 by 50 Home Image Map

Thursday, November 7, 2013

The Thankful Project Day 7: A Job

Hello Hello my dear readers. Today is Day 7 of The Thankful Project. 


Day 7: A Job

I've had many jobs in my lifetime. From working the concession stand at my brother's baseball park, being a hostess, a nanny, a tutor, a TA, a summer employee of a bank, to teaching. 

While I didn't love every job I've ever had, I am thankful that I've been able to work and find jobs when I needed. The job I want to share with you today is one that I absolutely hated. 

A Subway Sandwich Artist
{Yes, they use the term artist} 

When I got home from my study abroad, I was taking time off from school to be with family. During this time, I got a job at Subway. And I can tell you, it was the worst job ever. I hated seeing how all the 'fresh' food just came in plastic packages. I hated that there was a limit on how many black olives you could put on a sandwich (3 for a 6 inch, 6 for a 12 inch). I hated smelling like Subway every night when I got home. I hated that the manager was just a little bit cheap. I literally hated everything about that job. At one point, my boss was so paranoid about the Little Caesars that opened across the street that he started sending me out to 'work' the street to get business into the store. 

And that's how this picture ended up in existence: 

{photo credit to my brother Joe and my mom who came by immediately after I told them what I was doing} 

There I am as Subway Sandwich Alex. Just working my corner. Me and the Little Caesars man would have dance offs on our respective corners. 

It was all so embarrassing. The only saving grace to having to wear this costume was that it covered my face so you couldn't tell it was me. 

Now I really did hate this job, but it was a job! I had been looking for something and this was something. No, it was not my dream job. No, the pay was not great. But it helped me get on my feet while I could find something else. It taught me that I needed to continue to work hard at school because the sandwich life was not for me. 

I only worked at Subway for about 6 weeks, and then I found a really sweet nanny job for the remainder of my stay in Georgia. Those 6 weeks taught me a lot, and for that I am grateful. 

So for those kids out there- stay in school or you'll be dressed as a sandwich... or the Statue of Liberty for the Liberty Savings people :) 

{Linking up with Chasing Happy

2 comments:

  1. Angel worked at Subway in high school! Though I think he kind of liked it because he was like 17 and his friends worked there too. But to this day he never wants to walk into a Subway because he's convinced that you automatically smell like subway when you walk out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly how I feel. I hardly ever want Subway these days, but if we do get it- I make my husband go in the store.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment- I appreciate and read each and every one of them. All replies will be in the comment section, please check back to read them!

- Alex