Home Our Lives Our Travels Advertise/PR 50 by 50 Home Image Map

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

'Iolani Palace and King Kamehameha {Travel Tuesdays &Travel Series}

Today I want to go back in time and continue talking about Hawaii and all the things there is to see. This is part of my travel series, and this week I am linking up with A Compass Rose and Found Love, Now What for my first ever Travel Tuesdays!

'Iolani Palace and The King Kamehameha I Statue 
Cost: Adult $21.75 Child $6 *They offer Kamaaina (local) and Military discount and have Kamaaina Sundays 
Time: Between 1 and 1 1/2 hours for tours 
Location: 364 South King Street 


{image via- somehow none of my pictures look good} 

'Iolani Palace is a place that I always take people when they come to visit. You have a couple different options when you visit. You can just walk the grounds for free, or you can choose a guided tour or an audio tour. If this is your first time going, I would suggest taking the guided tour. It is worth the money!    I would go on Sunday if possible because I believe the tours are cheaper and it is less crowded. 

'Iolani Palace is a historical landmark that was built by King David Kalakaua in 1882 and is the official home of the Hawaiian monarchs. This is the palace where the last queen of Hawaii, Queen Liliuokalani, was imprisoned when the Hawaiian Monarchy was Overthrown by American businessmen in 1893. {Source via} 



On the tour you will learn all about the building of the palace and King Kalakaua's reign and how it all lead to the overthrow. If you are not really interested in all that, then just walk the grounds. But I would really recommend taking the tour and learning more about the past of the Hawaiian monarchy. As a former Hawaiian and Pacific history teacher, I really think it is one of the most beautiful places on the island and full of such history. 

Right across the street from the palace is the famous King Kamehameha I statue. 



King Kamehameha I is best known for uniting the Hawaiian Islands towards the end of the 1700s. *Interesting fact about this statue: There is another one in the capital building in Washington D.C., and it is the only statue with gold on it. It remains in the lobby where you buy your tickets because it is too heavy to move. So every visitor gets to see the statue representing Hawaii.* {Was that fact just interesting to me?} 

*Important note about parking: There is plenty of street parking around 'Iolani Palace. It is metered parking and only takes coins. I know this sounds stupid, but really read the signs because it is easy to get confused about when you can park on the street.... At least it was for me. 

When Jessie and Jake were there I just had them step out of the car and take a bunch of pictures because we didn't do the tour. I was parked in one of the street stalls when a cop came up and told me to move. I had to leave my cousins and go around the block to pick them up. Now I know it doesn't seem to dramatic, but I hate downtown Honolulu and I was freaking out! 

Meanwhile, my cousins thought it was pretty funny and as I was driving away I heard Jake yell, "Bye Alex!" I'm glad my friend Sarah was with me to help calm me down! 


{Poor abandoned Jessie and Jake} 

'Iolani Palace and the King Kam statue should be on your list of things to do- even if all you do is just walk around. If you ever have any questions about Hawaii, specifically the island of Oahu, feel free to contact me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment- I appreciate and read each and every one of them. All replies will be in the comment section, please check back to read them!

- Alex