Home Our Lives Our Travels Advertise/PR 50 by 50 Home Image Map

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Hiking Diamond Head {Travel Series}

So it seems when you talk about the island of Oahu one of the top sites that people think of is Diamond Crater. At least it was on the list of things my cousins wanted to do while they were visiting. Yay- I got to hike Diamond Head. {Please note the sarcasm.} 


{image via

Diamond Head National Park
Cost: $5 per car, or $1 per person if you walk in 
Time: Between 1 and 1 1/2 hours to hike to the top and back *Need to be started by 4:30 pm at the latest 
Location: Downtown Honolulu


{image via

I made it four years living in Hawaii without hiking Diamond Head, and I thought I would leave it that way. But alas, I had to hike it. The hike is only .80 of a mile up to the top, but towards the end of the hike is very steep, and there are a lot of stairs. People run up Diamond Head all the time, but I am not one of those people. I walked and really I didn't even want to do that!

Here's me at the top. 


But at least I got to look at this view 




If you are going to hike Diamond Head here are a few tips and secrets of the hike: 

1. Wear good shoes. For real, I saw people in flip flops, and I was concerned for them. 
2. There are going to be a lot of stairs... like at one point 93 steep stairs. And if you think after the 93 steps you're done... you'd be wrong. 
3. You can choose to go up the 93 stairs, or you can go a longer way that is just a bunch of switch backs.  
4. If you chose the stairs you will have to go up a dodgy spiral staircase. 
5. Then you will have to go through a bunker... and it's not very tall so you will be hunched over 
6. Bring water for the hike 
7.  If you see someone struggling up the hike just offer positive encouragement. There is no need for remarks like "It's really easy. My 6 year old can do it."
8. There is a tunnel you will have to go under- it's a little creepy 
9.Bring a camera - you might hate hiking, but you will want the pictures. For the very least to prove you made it.

All in all, I think it was a beautiful view, but I don't know if I would hike it again. 

But I'm glad I did it with my cousins. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment- I appreciate and read each and every one of them. All replies will be in the comment section, please check back to read them!

- Alex