Home Our Lives Our Travels Advertise/PR 50 by 50 Home Image Map

Monday, December 9, 2013

Thanksgiving in Korea

Let me start by reminding everyone of one thing: Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. My absolute favorite holiday. So much in fact, I made sure Matt and I were married the day after Thanksgiving so our rehearsal dinner could be a big Thanksgiving dinner. 



I am also very picky when it comes to what is served at Thanksgiving dinner. Thanksgiving for me was always spent at my Abuela and Papa's house and they always had the best dinners. So whenever I spend Thanksgiving away from my family I try to make sure all my favorite dishes are in attendance.

 {Note: I didn't do this at the first Thanksgiving that Matt and I were married and ended up in a bathroom crying because Matt's grandma was serving Sushi and Rice. There were no mashed potatoes and I was traumatized. Yes, I know, I'm a freak.} 

This year was the first year that Matt and I were responsible for a whole Thanksgiving dinner. {Last year, Matt was in charge of the Turkey and I was in control of some sides, but not the whole dinner.}  It was a bit nerve-wracking, but I think it turned out well. I know most of the pressure I felt was just coming from my need to have a good Thanksgiving, but it didn't make it any less stressful. Luckily, Matt is awesome and pretty much took control of most of the dishes. I did the sweet potatoes because I'm very particular about there taste... and the only one that likes them. 

Here is what was on the menu: 


{Mashed Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes, Corn, Stuffing, Rolls, Deviled Eggs, Veggies, and Fried Chicken Fingers...} 




Everything was really delicious. My mom sent us boxed Stove Top stuffing, and a few other ingredients to make our Thanksgiving more like I am used to. So, many thanks to her! 

Now on to explain the chicken. For the last couple of months, Matt and I have been trying to find a toaster oven big enough to cook a small chicken. We picked chicken because I really haven't seen turkey here and we knew a turkey would be way to big for us. But we couldn't find a oven that was the size we wanted for the price we wanted. Then one day we were eating at a chicken restaurant by our house and saw that they served rotisserie chickens- perfect! We confirmed what time they opened and then get ready to pick up our chicken the night of our dinner. On Saturday, we went to the restaurant and tried to order the chicken... and they didn't have any! What!?! So we were stuck with getting fried chicken strips, or no chicken. We chose fried chicken strips... just like the Pilgrims had on the first Thanksgiving. Hahaha. 

Now, the food was great, but the best part about Thanksgiving dinner was meeting Matt's cousin Alohi. I guess it's true what they say- there are Hos everywhere. :) Haha. Alohi is also teaching English here in Korea and on Saturday she made the journey to our house to eat Thanksgiving with us. We had the best time visiting and getting to know each other. There were no awkward moments; it was all just perfect. 






For dessert, Alohi brought the ingredients to make chocolate trifle. It was so good. It was just pound cake, chocolate pudding (that her parents sent), whipped cream, and strawberries. 
 I also bought a cake from Paris Baguette, but there was no way we were eating that day. My mom had sent us a can of Pumpkin, but I was under the impression you just put the can of pumpkin in a pie tin and called it a day, but apparently there is more to it. We might save the can for Christmas when we are more prepared to make a pie. And when we can actually find a pie tin. 


While it was bit sad being away from home this Thanksgiving, I'm happy we had the chance to meet Alohi and have a Thanksgiving here in Korea. We had way too much food left over, but it was all worth it. 

1 comment:

Thanks for taking the time to comment- I appreciate and read each and every one of them. All replies will be in the comment section, please check back to read them!

- Alex