Home Our Lives Our Travels Advertise/PR 50 by 50 Home Image Map

Monday, December 5, 2011

Thanksgiving in Hawaii



(I made my mom's cranberries- they were a hit- along with my chocolate pie!)

Two years ago for Thanksgiving I was getting on a plane for Dublin with my friend Jenny. I had spent the morning of Thanksgiving in
St. Paul's attending a service for the American community in England. Then we were off to Dublin!
One year ago, I was attending my rehearsal dinner with my family and friends! I was celebrating mine and Matt's wedding day!

Now we are in Hawaii, about to celebrate our one year anniversary. This year we went to Matt's Obachan's (grandmother) home. I thought I would be okay, but it was a little overwhelming. If you know me really well, you know that Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday and I love being with my family. And I am extremely picky about my Thanksgiving food. At Obachan's house there was NO mashed potatoes, there were NO sweet potatoes, and there WAS SUSHI!!!! On top of that there were tons of new family members to meet. All of that combined was a little too much for me to handle. I tried to be a good sport, but at one point I just broke down and started crying in the bathroom. I know, I know how stupid, but being 4,000 miles away from family is hard!

After dinner, things got better. Most of the guests left so it was just people I was used to being around. After dinner, Matt and I went to see Arthur Christmas. It was such a good movie and a good way to end the day.

While this year held many changes, I am so happy I was able to spend my favorite holiday with my favorite person. This guy:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment- I appreciate and read each and every one of them. All replies will be in the comment section, please check back to read them!

- Alex