Home Our Lives Our Travels Advertise/PR 50 by 50 Home Image Map

Monday, April 21, 2014

Homemade Applesauce: Recipe

Happy Monday Y'all! 

I don't often post recipes on the blog, but sometimes there comes something that is so tasty- and so easy- that I have to share it. 

For the past couple of months, I have been craving applesauce. I didn't eat it a lot back home, but I ate it enough to always have a jar of it stocked in our fridge. I think it's the best after work snack. Since Matt and I get off work so late, we don't really eat dinner. But we still want a little something, and usually that something we want is sweet. I think applesauce hits that craving perfectly, and it's not nearly has bad as a cup of ice cream or a candy bar. 

Well- since applesauce doesn't exist in Korea- I had to find a way to make my own. 

I searched and searched and really didn't like any of the recipes I had come across. Some added a bit too many ingredients. Others used an oven (which we don't have). And some I just didn't want to use. 

But then I came across The Pioneer Woman's Homemade Applesauce recipe and I was sold. I believe I found the recipe on a Friday, and by Sunday I had a batch made up. It is a an easy recipe, and it is so delicious. By Wednesday, my applesauce was gone, so we made another batch this weekend. 

You can always go to The Pioneer Woman's blog, which you really should do because she has amazing recipes, but here are a few pictures of our applesauce process.

 I am mainly showing you these to illustrate how easy this recipe is. If I can make this, so can you. 

Ingredients: 



8-10 apples- 1/2 cup brown sugar- 1 tsp Cinnamon- Juice of 1 Lemon- 1 cup Apple Juice-

*The first time we made it we used Apple Juice. The second time we just used water. I think both batches tasted the same, so we will continue using water instead of juice.* 

**PS** Don't you love the Korean labels on my ingredients?!?

Okay, so first peel-core-and cut the apples. I peeled and Matt cored and cut the apples. If we had one of those fancy apple core and cutter things- this whole process would be faster. 


Add all the ingredients to a pot and set on medium to medium high heat. Stirring occasionally. Cook for 25 minutes. 


When the 25 minutes is up, you can mash them up with a potato masher. If you want the consistency smoother you can always use a food processor. 
*The Pioneer Woman gives really good directions on how to get it nicely pureed over on her sight. 

Because we like our applesauce a little chunky and because we don't have a food processor, we just mashed them and it is delicious. 


And that's that. I would say the whole process takes about 45 minutes. 

And both times we have used 10 apples and it has made 64 ounces of applesauce. We just store ours in some tupperware and throw it in the fridge because we eat it pretty quickly. 

Have you ever made homemade applesauce? Do you have any homemade recipes I should try? 
I would love to hear your thoughts! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment- I appreciate and read each and every one of them. All replies will be in the comment section, please check back to read them!

- Alex