Home Our Lives Our Travels Advertise/PR 50 by 50 Home Image Map

Monday, April 28, 2014

Easter 2014

Last Easter, Matt and I were celebrating in Hawaii. We had Easter brunch and dinner with our friends and family and had a wonderful time. We dyed Easter eggs and chatted with our friends for brunch before church, and then had dinner with more friends and a game of Jelly Bean Uno. 

That Easter, even though we were far away from Georgia, we had people to get together with. It was so nice to be surrounded by friends and cousins. It was wonderful to know that we were not alone. 

This year was a different story. We really didn't know what we were going to do in terms of celebrating Easter. I knew I wanted to color eggs. I knew I wanted to have a dinner, but I really didn't have the energy to fix a large Easter dinner for just the two of us. 

Honestly, I was really missing home. I know Matt and I chose this life of travel. And most days I am excited by the adventures we have. But sometimes I just want to take part in the family activities that are going on back in Georgia. Even though I was having a nice little pity party, our Easter turned out quite nice. 

Before church, Matt and I had a nice breakfast of eggs and American style bacon. (Yes- it's hard to find American bacon here.) Luckily, our church was having a Easter potluck after services so we were able to have that Easter dinner without having to cook a huge meal for ourselves. The ward provided American style ham (again- something we wouldn't be able to find). Because most of our ward members are military families there was a lot of food that you can only buy on military bases. Since Matt and I aren't in the military- we were pretty lucky to get these treats. American style ham- dinner rolls- jello- green bean casserole- brownies- root beer! It was pretty exciting. We had a great time eating and visiting with people from our church. I'm glad we decided to stay and participate in the potluck. 


After the potluck, we decided to color Easter eggs. This year I really wanted to try my hand at the nail polish marbling technique. So we got some nail polish and I gave it a try. We also painted eggs with paints we had laying around. We chose this because I really didn't feel like searching for food coloring in Korean stores. I wasn't too impressed with the marbling, but by the end I was getting the hang of it. 

{Eggs- Nail polish- room temperature water- gloves (to stop polish from getting all over your hands)- toothpick} 

I used the tutorial from Henry Happened for my egg marbling adventure. None of my eggs looked like hers, but again I think if I had experimented more I would have gotten it. I just was tired of wasting eggs. And our apartment was really starting to reek of nail polish, so I knew I needed to stop. 

Even though the eggs didn't turn out perfect, I still liked how they ended up. 










And those are our 2014 Easter eggs. I can't believe Matt and I didn't snap one picture of the two of us. I got 50 million of the flipping eggs, but not one of us. Does this ever happen you guys? 

Overall, our Easter was great. I think by the end of Korea I'll be ready to start celebrating holidays with my family back in Georgia. But regardless of where we are- Matt and I seem to always have fun. 

I hope you guys had a wonderful Easter. 

10 comments:

  1. Looks like a lovely Easter. Sometimes it would be great if we could just click our fingers and be back home for a few days! I was on a plane back from Australia on Easter Sunday/Monday - wasn't exactly the best one I've ever had haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly how feel- I want to go on my adventures and then pop home for the holidays and big events. I've spent many holidays on a plane or in route to some places. So I hear ya on the non-exciting Easter!

      Delete
  2. Hey Alex, I'm a new follower of your blog, we are currently living in Germany and plan on traveling Europe this summer when my sister comes to visit, so I'm catching up with your travels!
    Keep in touch,
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Diana! How cool that you are living in Germany! One of my goals is to be an expat in Europe in the future. Where in Europe are you planning on traveling?

      Delete
  3. Jake and I are brilliant at getting lots of pictures of what we're doing, but we're not so awesome at getting pictures of us doing said project. Hahaha. Looks like you had fun though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha- I feel like Matt and I either get a lot of pictures of us and not of the place, or the opposite.

      Delete
  4. I had my first Easter in America (did a photo post about it too, and also did not get any pics of my husband and me)! I had my first Easter basket too (from my flatmates - we did theirs) and it was so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We don't celebrate Easter in the UK with as much tradition as you guys do. You make it look so much more fun and obviously being church goers you also get that great sense of community which is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The church really does give us a little community which is great as expats. I esp. love it because since they are military we can get some American treats :)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment- I appreciate and read each and every one of them. All replies will be in the comment section, please check back to read them!

- Alex