Home Our Lives Our Travels Advertise/PR 50 by 50 Home Image Map

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Deoksugung Palace {Travel Tuesday}

Happy Tuesday Y'all! 

Today I wanted to share Deoksugung Palace with you guys. Matt and I visited this palace during our Valentine's weekend get-away. Since Valentine's was two months ago, I thought I would finish sharing that trip before I get into my Busan trip. 

There are three great palaces of Seoul: Gyeongbokgung, Changdeokgung and Deoksugung Palace. 
{I think there are five palaces in Seoul, but these three are the 'greats'.} 

So far, Matt and I have visited 2 of the 3 great palaces of Seoul… Changdeokgung- we are coming for ya. 

Deoksugung Palace 


This palace is a lot smaller than Gyeonbukgung, but I think it's still worth going and checking out. This was built in the 1400s and was used after all the other palaces were burned down in 1592 during the Imjin wars. There is also a museum on the palace grounds. We didn't check that out, but we will probably come back and do so. 

We actually timed our visit just right were able to see the changing of the guard ceremony. We were able to see the ceremony at the Gyeonbukgung, but they were done a little differently and this time we got better pictures. 




The palace was not as crowded as Gyeongbukgung, so it was nice to walk through without a huge amount of people. 



I love the pictures below because you can really see that this palace is smack dab in the middle of downtown Seoul. I love the mix of modern and historical buildings. 


You can see city hall in the picture above. And Seoul Tower peaking through in the picture below. 



One of my favorite parts about these palaces is the detail. Everywhere you look there is such detail. I am really curious of process. Like did they hand paint everything? Stencil? Did they paint then assemble? Assemble then paint? What did they do? 




If you are in the Seoul area, and you have some time- I would recommend this palace. I think it would look the most beautiful in the Spring or Fall, but we went in the Winter and it was great. 

Here is a video clip of the ceremony: 

So what do you think- bucket list worthy or not? 

Basic Information
Hours: 9:00-9:00 
Cost: 1,000 Won (Youth 500 Won) 
Changing of the Guard Ceremony: 11:00, 2:00, 3:30 (Closed on Mondays) 
Location: By City Hall 

{For more information click here



6 comments:

  1. I love the contrast of the old, colorful, temples and the modern, clean buildings behind. I think it's bucket list worthy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too Polly! I think it's amazing to live in a city that has both old and new pieces of history.

      Delete
  2. Everything is bucket list worthy to me and this place looks so cool. So much colour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The color is the most amazing thing to me. I love all the old buildings and estates that are in the UK, but I feel like there's not this amazing color that Asia seems to have.

      Delete
  3. I haven't visited this one yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really nice. Smaller than Gyeongbukgong, but still worth the trip.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment- I appreciate and read each and every one of them. All replies will be in the comment section, please check back to read them!

- Alex