Home Our Lives Our Travels Advertise/PR 50 by 50 Home Image Map

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

The Thankful Project Day 6: A Failure

Happy Hump Day Y'all. Welcome to day 6 of the wonderful Thankful Project.


Day 6: A Failure 

Hmmm- what fun it is talking about our failures? It's a little embarrassing to admit that we aren't perfect isn't it. I know I don't really like looking too deep at all the things I've done wrong in my life, or the things that I failed at. But, I do know that looking back and thinking about my failures also gives a great perspective on life and there's always a lesson to be learned. 

When I was a freshman at Georgia College and State, I decided I wanted to transfer schools to one of the BYU programs. I really felt like this was the best path for me, so I applied to both BYU Provo (the main campus) and BYU Hawaii. 

While Hawaii seemed exciting, I knew that I would pick Provo because it seemed like that was the best choice. I would be closer to my parents, it was a bigger school, and it just seemed like that's what would be expected of me. 

A few months later, my parents gave me a manilla envelope containing my acceptance to BYU..... Hawaii. While I was really excited and happy I got accepted, I was also thinking, "well this is great, but I'm going to Provo." 

And then a few weeks later, I got the news that Provo had accepted me, but I would have to start in the Summer in order to get in for Fall. For me, Summer was not an option. I didn't want to start school with only a short break from my first year of college. I didn't want to say goodbye to my family so soon, but I really wanted to go to Provo. For me, getting in for Summer term was a failure. I wasn't good enough to just get in for Fall. Provo didn't think I was smart enough. *Ironically, Hawaii was actually harder to get into than Provo, especially if you were from the mainland... and, I'll say it - white

Honestly, the next month kinda sucked. I went back and forth on what I was going to do. Hawaii seemed cool- it would be an adventure, but I didn't really know if I could do it. Months of planning and thinking of Utah was suddenly not an option. And then I realized if I couldn't have Provo in the Fall- I didn't want it. 

This 'failure' of sorts completely altered my life plan- I am sure of it. I decided to take the leap and I sent my intent to enroll to Hawaii. Looking back on this 'failure' of mine has shown me how lucky I really was. I got to go to school in Hawaii! The campus was small so my professors really knew me. They were involved in my life, both personally and academically. I met wonderful people and established great friendships. Being in Hawaii taught me so much. I learned that I could be 4,000 miles away from home and survive. I learned that flip flops are actually slippers. And you should always take off your shoes before going inside someone's house. I learned that there is nothing better than taro rolls. 

Being accepted to Hawaii changed my life. It really did. I am 100% positive being in Hawaii was one of the main reasons Matt and I started dating. I don't know how to explain it, but I know Hawaii was a factor. The reason why we are in Korea right now is because of Hawaii. 

I am so thankful that I didn't get accepted for Fall semester at Provo. I really am. I know for a fact that often times failures are the greatest blessings- we just have to look a little deeper. 

Plus, Matt and I got to look amazing when we graduated. How many people can say they got 35 leis when they graduated from college? 

4 comments:

  1. The chance to live in Hawaii?! This would have been the easiest decision EVER for me, but I see why you felt so torn about it. Isn't it crazy to think about what you might be doing now had you chosen to accept the summer term at Provo? I'd say things turned out pretty darn awesome for ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no doubt that Hawaii was the greatest thing to happen to me. But that initial choice was really hard for me to make.

      Delete
  2. Alex, I love this! It is so interesting to look back and see how some "failures" ended up propelling us in different but ultimately better directions. What a fun back story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly how I feel! I can't believe all the great things that have happened because I didn't go to Provo!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment- I appreciate and read each and every one of them. All replies will be in the comment section, please check back to read them!

- Alex