Home Our Lives Our Travels Advertise/PR 50 by 50 Home Image Map

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

The Thankful Project Day 5: Talent


Day 5: Talent that You Have 

Am I the only one that feels really uncomfortable when talking about things you are good at? I always feel kinda weird writing down talents because I feel like I'm being boastful. But when I started thinking about it, I came to the conclusion that everyone has strengths. Everyone has something they are good at, and that's the way it's supposed to be. 

The talent that has helped me the most in my life is having the ability to organize. I love organizing. I really do. Give me a highlighter, some sticky notes, and a planner and I can give you a pretty good 5 year plan.When I was younger I assumed everyone was organized and I found it surprising when people came to school with messy notebooks or missing homework.

 I remember thinking... Wait, so you don't set up your homework books in different seats of your kitchen table and set the microwave timer for 30 minutes for each 'homework station'? That's just me.... Oh that's not quite normal? But how does your homework get done?... {I was a strange child... that particular habit started when I was in the 6th grade.} 

As I got into high school I started the typical hourly agendas. You know: 
8:20-2:40 School
3:00-5:00 Lacrosse Practice
5:00-5:15- Drive Home
5:15-6:00- Language Arts
6:00-6:30- Dinner
6:30-7:00 Math
7:00-8:00 Study for History test 
8:00-8:30 Shower and get ready for bed
8:30-9:00 Science 
9:00-10:00 Read
10:00 Bed 

I did this everyday, and I really thought it was perfectly normal. 

I'm thankful to have this talent. I know that a lot of where I am today is because of the talent of organization. I know the study charts and the time schedules I made in high school and college really paid off.  And as talents go it's a pretty useful one I must say. It might be annoying to those around that just want to go with the flow, but overall I think it's worked out for me thus far. 

So what's your talent? 

{Linking up with Chasing Happy

6 comments:

  1. Being naturally good at organizing is a great--and extremely practical!--talent to have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel- That's what I think as well. I do love me some good organization. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  2. That's a really practical talent! And you're definitely not the only one who feels that way about celebrating her own awesomeness — if you'll let me get all angry feminist on you, women are taught from birth to be humble and underplay their talents, which is total bullshit and a way for men to dismiss them as inferior. I mean, you teach a person to be quiet and not take pride in what they do best, and then you dismiss them because if they were good, they'd let you know about it. Eff that. We are awesome. \o/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, I love your comment. I think you hit it right on the nail. We should be happy and a bit proud of our talents. We all have something are are good at and we should let that shine. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  3. I used to make hourly agendas too! And still do on occasion but not as diligently as I did in high school and university. In university I was queen of the colour coded hourly agendas for each day of the week! It's nice to know I'm not alone! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna, Oh we are two peas in a pod! I kinda miss the days of school and highlighters. It is nice that we can be a bit overly organized together :) Thanks for your comment.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment- I appreciate and read each and every one of them. All replies will be in the comment section, please check back to read them!

- Alex