Home Our Lives Our Travels Advertise/PR 50 by 50 Home Image Map

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

It's Journal Time



Throughout my life, I have felt that journaling is one of the most important things I could do. 

I have always loved to document my life, and now I am loving documenting my life with Matt.

When I was younger, I thought I was journaling because I wanted my future children and grandchildren to have a piece of my history {I mean volumes of my history :) }. But as I look back at my old journals, photo albums, and blog posts I realize I was journaling for myself as well. 

I love reading my old journals and seeing the person I was then. I love re-remembering all the things that happened all those years ago. 

I know that eventually my future generations might get a kick out of my old stuff, but I don't think it will be as big as me sitting down and reading all the things I don't quite remember. 

A few weeks ago, Matt and I went to dinner at our friend's house. They are a newly wed couple, and as these things go the men formed a little group and started talking manly stuff {read video games} and us women started talking about girly stuff {read crazy things our husbands do}. 

As we were talking the topic of journaling came up. I shared with the newly wed how important I thought journaling was in our marriage. I expressed how much I love going back over old blog posts and seeing all the things Matt and I did. 

Like I have said before, I consider this blog to be a journal of our lives. I take the time to update as often as I can so we can remember all the small and large things we did over the years. 

Another form of journaling I have started doing are my Gadanke journals. 

The founder, Katie, has the greatest message for fellow journalers, or want to be journalers: 

"I believe an incredible thing happens when we pause to celebrate our stories. IT GIVES US MEANING. The ordinary starts to feel downright awesome.
I help women find their voices, capture memories, and celebrate themselves. In the Gadanke world, there is no meaning of “if only”. It’s a world of thoughtfulness, creativity, and empowerment.
Let me guide you and cheer for you in this brave journey of celebrating your story." {From Gadanke} 

When I found Gadanke, I immediately bought the Love fills a Lifetime journal, and the Love Where We Live journal. 

Then I bought the Christmas Joy to the World, and Baby Hello journal for my mother-in-law. 

I am currently wishing for the Love Letter mini book and the A Note to Say Hi journals. 

Katie makes recording your stories extremely easy, and her prices are great. If you are stuck and have no where to start- I recommend Gadanke

I started with our Love Fills a Lifetime Journal and I love the way it turned out. In fact, I have asked Katie to share my journal on her main web sight for others to see! I am so excited for people to see a part of my story. 

Here are a few pages from this journal: 




{A score card from when Matt and I played miniature golf.} 





{For this journal, I pulled all my wedding planning stuff out and made this a wedding book/ journal of the day.  I put our save the dates, photo booth pictures, magazine pages that inspired me with the planning, fabric swatches, my bridal shower invitations, and cards people got us. Anything that reminded me of my big day, or dating Matt I put in the journal.} 


My Christmas Journal was just as fun to put together. As you know, Matt and I went home this year and I needed something special to document it! 





{For this journal- I added any pictures we took, movie tickets, a peppermint bark candy wrapper, and anything that had to do with the holidays.}

I am going to give you a piece of advice- journal! If writing every day overwhelms you then pick up The Question a Day 5 year journal from Amazon. 

Or write in a spiral notebook once a week. 

Or start a blog- even if it's private- you are still writing. 

Or buy a Gadanke journal. Just get your story down! 

There are some many cute journals out there- there really is no excuse. 

Have a great week and remember- start journaling! 

1 comment:

  1. I'm very bad at journaling, so it is great to be married to someone who is!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment- I appreciate and read each and every one of them. All replies will be in the comment section, please check back to read them!

- Alex