Home Our Lives Our Travels Advertise/PR 50 by 50 Home Image Map

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Ryozen Kannon {Japan}

Happy Tuesday Y'all! 

After we walked through Yasaka Pagoda we decided to continue to wander about {if you haven't noticed that was definitely our theme for our second day in Kyoto}. We were just walking around when all of a sudden I looked up and I saw this huge Buddha statue. Like huge- huge! I knew I needed to see what exactly this was. 

And I'm so happy we wandered over to Ryozen Kannon. Here is what we found. 


Ryozen Kannon is a war memorial for those that died during the Pacific side of WWII. The Bodhisattva Avalokitesvara is 24 meters (80 feet) high and weighs about 500 tons. It was built in 1955. 

It is a memorial for the 2 million Japanese who died in WWII and for those unknown soldiers killed during the war. 



I was so happy that we stumbled across this place. I didn't even know a place like this existed, and it was a wonderful place to visit. The memorial was so peaceful and it was exactly what I needed to see. For a lot of our trip, we were running around trying to see a bunch of stuff, but when we got here it was just so relaxing. 


With the price of admission you get a piece of incense to light for the fallen soldiers. Four times a day there is a service for the soldiers, and we were lucky enough to get there at the tail end of one. We sat outside the temple and listened to the ceremony. Again- I was just so happy to be sitting and taking a breathe and remembering the past. 

 {Shrine for a good marriage match or a healthy marriage} 


{Footprints of Buddha} 

The best part for me was just seeing this huge Buddha. The detail on this statue is just so amazing. I can't believe this isn't one of the larger tourist areas in Kyoto. The Buddha is beautiful. Because it's not a popular spot- it was really quite and it was a perfect way to get out of the mindset of run run run. 



This was one of the last things we did on our last night in Kyoto, and I'm so happy we came across it. It is located really close to the Yasaka Pagoda and Kiyomizudera Temple, so if you're in the area, I would recommend stopping by. There is also another temple right next to it, and a museum of some sort. 


Basic Information: 
Cost: 300 Yen
LocationHigashiyama District

*Note- It is possible to stand at the entrance without paying and still get a picture of the Buddha, but I really recommend paying the $3 and going in.* 

Travel Tuesday

{Linking up for Travel Tuesday}

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment- I appreciate and read each and every one of them. All replies will be in the comment section, please check back to read them!

- Alex